Why would your need to see a lactation consultant?
Breastfeeding (dare I say this) should be pleasant. However many women experience difficulties when breastfeeding, particularly during the initial first weeks. With the proper support, education and time many issues can be overcome, and breastfeeding can be a healthy, satisfying experience for mother and baby.
The most common reasons to see a lactation consultant include:
· Difficulty or pain when latching the baby to the breast
· Non latching baby
· Inadequate milk supply
· Baby has inadequate weight gain
· Nipple and breast pain or soreness
· Prolonged feedings
· Dread or anxiety about nursing
· Baby struggles /fussy at breast
· Breastfeeding after breast augmentation or reduction